Monday, May 19, 2014

While We Were Away: Our Weekend Recap

Another weekend has come and gone..
I find it totally unfair that these days fly by when the week DRAGS its feet..
(pout)
With another weekend behind us we have now reached the count down to the last day of school!
12 days folks 12!
This weekend was pretty laid back, lots of cleaning and movie watching since mother nature let summer have a vacation and it was cloudy and umm dare I say it... COLD!
with highs in the 50s and 60s this weekend my So Cal butt wore jeans and a forsaken hoodie!
I am ready for summer....
Anyways...
Due to the rain and cold temps we had to post pone our luau potluck to this next weekend. I am looking forward to the mid 80's!
With a movie, house cleaning weekend we really took advantage of some much needed R&R as a family.
The movie list:
The Nut Job:
I Frankenstein
Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian
and to tie it all together we watched the Billboard Music Awards (ok so it is NOT a movie)
We love family movie time with the kids it really gives us that break with no fighting between them and since 2 are pre teens these moments are few and fair in between at this moment in time.
What is also great about these is that the kids are exposed to many different "lessons" I know a lot of parents wont agree with me and that is fine but hear me out if you will.
Thanks to movies and my love for all kinds of music, my kids have been exposed to music from numerous genres and dates...
If a song comes on the radio they can name the movie or movies it is in with in the first 5 notes...
AND sing them...
They also learn about exciting places like the Smithsonian. Which my youngest has informed us that we just HAVE to go there!
(Do I hear a project for mom)
They also learn that though movies are fake that there are some actual facts in them that some movies are based off of: (Frankenstein was the Mad Scientist and NOT the monster created by him.)
PLEASE DO NOT get me wrong, I do not think that these are the best way to learn, and I do not allow them to watch movies rated PG13 or over without watching them first but I do think that this is a great way for them to see what is possible in the art fields and what their imaginations can do.  
(D (my oldest) wants to be a video game designer)
With the final count down to school we still have TONS of functions to get through including the Annual Art Show tonight at the Elementary School!
Come see us tomorrow to catch up on the little artists!

No comments:

Post a Comment