Thursday, April 10, 2014

Tasty Thursday

Today I am going to share to recipes with you all.
I would love to hear if you try them out and what you think of them.
First:
 Red Beans and Rice with Sausage
This is a very simple recipe and a household favorite. It is also popular with my brother and half our neighborhood :)
Needless to say it is VERY simple to make.

This is my go to sausage for this! I am not sure if it is only a Southern region find or not but I can tell you the only place I can find it here in Arkansas is Kroger's, but in Alabama I could find it at Walmart.
You can also choose your own sausage though. This one has a nice spice to it which is why we love it.

Yes I use the boxed stuff... sue me :)
As a mom you do what you have to in order to provide good meals in a flash :)
I use two boxes per pack of sausage.
I follow the instruction on the back but use about a 1/2 less water than called for,
and I do not always use the butter ( I see no difference in it)


I cut the sausage in bit sized pieces.
When my girls were smaller I quartered them because of the sheep casing made it hard for them to chew well.

I always simmer this for 25-30 minutes then serve it up and let it cool for another 10-15.
It is SUPER hot :)
I use less water to get this thicker dish, otherwise it is kinda watery and well we don't like it that way. You can of course find they way you like it best :)
I serve this usually with corn bread, or a roll of some sort.
Believe it or not the Hawaiian Kings rolls are DELISH with this.. :)

There ya have it!

  Second:
Pizza Bites:

Since I was serving spaghetti for the hubby's bday I wanted to find a bread to compliment it for the party.
Growing up we were introduced to a family recipe called Pizza Bread, though I wanted to make this I decided it was going to take too long to do, so I hit up Pinterest (Everyone's go to site) and found pizza bites! These are so simple and do they not look delish!
I doubled the batch
( I do that a lot apparently)
but this is what you need for a serving of 24
Here is what you need:
3 cans Pillsbury Buttermilk Biscuits (10 per can)
{I did the 8 per can} 
56 pepperoni slices
block of Colby Cheese
{since I doubled I used Colby and Mozzarella}
1 beaten egg
Parmesan
Italian Seasoning
and
Garlic Powder
Pizza Sauce for serving

Here is what you do:
Cut the block of cheese into squares (1 square per biscuit)
Flatten out each biscuit and stack pepperoni and  cheese (like a sandwich)
Gather up the edges of the biscuit
Line up the rolls in a greased 9x13 pan
Brush with beaten egg
Sprinkle with Parmesan, Italian Seasoning and Garlic Powder
Bake at 425
Since I doubled the batch I just watched them until they were golden brown
I used my mini crock pot to warm the pizza sauce and served it with them.
These were a hit
You can change up the cheese and use more or less pepperoni if desired and I am sure that you can stuff them with any other "pizza" topping you'd like.
ENJOY!   


No comments:

Post a Comment