Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Boo; my lil toothless wonder

As a parent you get many ups and downs, and many surprises along the road of parenthood, all parents have experienced this in one way or another.
With being a parent of 3 little girls there isn't much anymore that surprises me really, with my oldest I have experienced pierced lip with her own teeth, and my poor middle one has been through the ringer with the busted eye, rocks in her ear, and more, then there is my lil Boo.... She's a true Jones, all tom boy so the injuries, bump, bruises, scratches, black eyes, and bloody noses have been endless. She is the only child I know that can fall on her butt and get a bloody nose... THIS is a true JONES! Yesterday was no exception to the rule....
When Boo was little she had to have 3 of her front teeth capped. All seemed fine and she has had them for almost 2 years. They looked like her natural teeth, and though these were only temporary til she turned 6 and got her adult teeth you wouldn't have known the difference without being told they were indeed not her "real" teeth.
Things has gone well with her "fake" teeth. We were informed that they were just cosmetic and not intended to hold up like our natural teeth, but after everything this girl had done they seemed to be just fine. That is until last week...
We went in on the 23rd for the girls usual 6 month cleaning at their local dentist... The oldest 2 were in and out in no time and came out with a NO cavity report... Which is typical for them but as a mom you are still very proud.
About 10 minutes later they call me to the back stating Boo was done with her cleaning. They take me back to one of their conference rooms to discuss in private anything that you need to know.... And on that day I had 2 need to knows... #1 Boo has another cavity, just a small one they said. No biggie I thought, signed the paperwork and was ready to make the apt to get the cavity filled. But then came #2 need to know.....
" Mrs. Jones" the hygienist said " Boo's front teeth were capped a while back." (DUH! I think to myself) " After her cleaning we took and xray of the 3 teeth. Let me show you." As she places this little xray on the light board in the room I can see automatically where she is getting at..... " As you can see on these 2 to your right they have the roots from her original teeth attached, this 3rd tooth no longer has roots." In my mind I start to freak out! Not being a complete idiot I know what's going to come next. " You see," she continues, " Her cap is not being held on by anything but her gums, there for she will loose this tooth sooner then the age of 6, all it will take is a good hit in her mouth and that will it for the tooth.". I asked what causes damage to a root that can make it just disappear, I didn't think roots could just check out like that. I thought roots were anchors for are teeth and not something that could say " Well I am done hanging out, think I'm just gonna disappear without a warning! Ha that would be funny!". Come to find out the root was hit and it caused enough damage to make it deteriorate. The hygienist told me. " When she looses this tooth there will be no way to place another fake one in its place due to the fact that there is nothing there, but this is perfectly normal,she will just be a snaggle tooth for a little while longer.". Normal?? Right......
When we left the dentist, I called my husband like I always do to give him the dental report card, I explained to him the mystery of the missing root and the future lil miss Boo loosing her front tooth. He was so calm about it and knew I was upset but was able to comfort me with it..... Got to love good husbands.
Things went well til yesterday, I spent all day at the Doctors office for myself and wasn't feeling well at all, and right when I got home it happened....
Boo hit her mouth and said her tooth hurt! I checked it and it was indeed loose!!!! GREAT! Just fan-fucking-tastic! I immediately called the dentist to see what they thought I needed to do.... Again I had 2 options, take her in and let them numb and cocoon her to pull the tooth or we pull it out ourselves. I picked the latter of the 2 seeing that the cocoon is traumatizing. So I sat boo down and explained it too her, and told her options. She also picked the latter of the two. ( Great minds think alike)
As I went to go get dinner I got a text stating Boo was in fact now my lil toothless wonder!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment