Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Cookin' Tuesday: Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake and Slow Cooker Lasagna

Since we have moved to Arkansas and I am not working I tend to have a little more time on my hands. Anyone that knows me know I pretend to cook. I am not an expert and I don't always enjoy it but yesterday was pretty good. I did try 2 new recipes and I hope to place a recipe on here every week. Who knows you may get two :)
First off we will start with the Slow Cooker Lasagna. This is a Betty Crocker recipe... though I am NO Betty Crocker, I can pretend right?

Slow Cooker Lasagna

What you will need:
1 pound bulk Italian Sausage
1 medium onion chopped
3 cans (15 oz each) Italian-style tomato sauce
2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese ( 8oz)
1 container (15 oz) Ricotta cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
15 uncooked lasagna noodles

Here's what you do:
1 Cook sausage and onion over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, basil and salt.

2. Mix one cup of the mozzarella cheese and the ricotta and the Parmesan cheeses. ( refrigerate the remaining mozzarella while lasagna cooks)


3. Spoon 1/4 of the sausage mixture into a 6 quart slow-cooker; top with 5 noodles, broken into pieces to fit. Spread with half of the cheese mixture and 1/4 of the sausage mixture. Top with 5 noodles, remaining cheese mixture, and 1/4 sausage mixture. Top with reaming 5 noodles and remaining sausage mixture.


4. Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or until noodles are tender.
5. Sprinkle top of lasagna with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover and let stand for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into pieces and Serve!!

This was my first attempt for lasagna. Though I have carried on the tradition of stuffed shells. I think the next time I will try the oven even though I LOVE slow cooked meals with 3 kids :)

Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake:


I found this recipe a while back in the ads that come in the mail every Wednesday.. Never know what goodies you will find in those things.. and this was a GOODIE!

What you need:
9 HONEY MAID Honey Grams, finely crushed
1/2 cup finely chopped PLANTERS nuts ( I did not use these)
1/4 cup butter melted (1/2 stick)
1tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
4 pkg. ( 8 oz each) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese; softened
1 cup sugar, divided
4 eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
1tsp. ground cinnamon
Dash ground cloves

What you do:
1 Heat oven to 325
2 Mix crumbs, nuts, and butter, press into the bottom and 1 inch up the side of 13x9 pan



3. Beat cream cheese and 3/4 cup of sugar and vanilla with a mixer until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each just until blended. Remove. 1-1/2 cups batter. Stir in remaining sugar, pumpkin and spices into remaining batter.




4. Spoon half the pumpkin batter into the crust; top with spoonfuls of half the plain batter. Repeat layers; swirl with knife.


5. bake 45 mins or until center is almost set. Cool completely. Refrigerate 4 hours. Then cut and serve!



YUMMY! I had mine for breakfast this morning and topped it with whipped cream  :) Bad I know!
I hope you enjoy these.... My family sure did.




No comments:

Post a Comment