Thursday, December 26, 2013

Getting Older

I know we all feel this way and I know it tends to be worst when we have children of our own but MAN....
yesterday sure was a hit in the face!
As kids we believe in Santa and the MAGIC that comes on Christmas morning.
Parents stay up half the night to wrap gifts,

 strategically place each gift under the tree, 

eat Santa's cookies and milk

 and PRAY you can get at LEAST 1 hours sleep before you are awaken 
by your little monsters  children BRIGHT and EARLY Christmas morning.. 

Since 2002 I have done these exact steps...every single year .... except for this one...
This year it was more like this...
We had a Christmas party at the neighbors the night before and got home around 11pm...
The kids ran around trying to get ready for bed and Santa ready, cookies, milk, and don;t forget "The Night Before Christmas" read to them by yours truly...

 It didn't take the kids long to fall asleep after partying at the neighbors so I quickly ate the cookies, drank the milk and since I had done everything else earlier in the week I was ready to go to bed, thinking I would have early risers before 5 am....
What did I get....
I wake up at 6 and the house is quite....
I lay in bed til 7....
still no sound...
7:30.... here comes Boo (who is 6)...
I figured a quick breakfast and by that time the other two would be up... Lo (my 10 year old) come out of the room shortly after hearing Boo talking and ready to open gifts! 
So the two of them RUN into the room to wake D (my 11 almost 12 year old) to get her out of bed...
They know they don't open gifts without everyone...
And what does she do?
"I am going to sleep in; I will open my gifts later."
My heart dropped.... WE HAVE HIT TEENAGE YEARS!
No excitement...
No hurrying...
She wanted her sleep...
and I want my baby back! 
I know this feeling will occur to me more then yesterday as my little baby girls grow up 
and I know that I had them all so young and that I am NOT really old (ok maybe I am)
BUT REALLY!
Christmas is my favorite holiday to spend with my kids and I was blessed to have all 3 with us this year again.
SIGH...

No comments:

Post a Comment